Sunday, January 09, 2022

Grief by Gwen Flowers

Grief doesn't go away. It just dims enough for you to continue daily stuff and then pops up to remind you that it never left you. It is there not just in all the big moments but also in missing small daily conversations, some shared word, a sweet memory or just the onset of a morn. To me, it brings about a feeling of being unteethered. The loss of a validation of all I do. The direction of life. The constant refrain of a question that now can life ever get better or is apex lost with the person.

This poem by Gwen Flowers brings out this do clearly so am jotting it down here.

Grief

I had my own notion of grief.

I thought it was the sad time

That followed the death of someone you love.

And you had to push through it

To get to the other side.

But I’m learning there is no other side.

There is no pushing through.

But rather,

There is absorption.

Adjustment.

Acceptance.

And grief is not something you complete

But rather, you endure.

Grief is not a task to finish

And move on,

But an element of yourself –

An alteration of your being.

A new way of seeing.

A new dimension of self.

by Gwen Flowers

No comments: