Thursday, October 29, 2015
Monday, August 31, 2015
1. Eat well. Eat nutritionally.
2. Give in to your cravings some of the times...no matter how odd they are.
3. Exercise is important ....for everyone ...decide what to do based on your stamina.
4. Size doesn't matter. Looking good is more about how you are feeling inside.
5. You don't need to be pregnant to want to make yourself feel good.
6. Pray. Meditate. Whatever gives you peace of mind.
8. Music helps.
9. It feels good when people help. Be one of those helpful ones.
10.Naps are ok.
11. Your health matters. You matter. Take an odd day off when you need it.
12. Be prepared in advance.
13. Expect the unexpected.
15. Always have something to look forward to.
16. Watch your step. Remember #11.
17. Everyone has a right to be moody sometimes.
18. Drink your milk. An investment for later.
19. Same with the fruits n veggies.
20. This too shall pass. Even labour does.
Saturday, June 06, 2015
Wednesday, June 03, 2015
I am back as promised ...to write more .....
Here's a random thought...isn't irritating when people say "Oh, I could have done that". It could be any small or big thing. The answer should be "Well, too bad you didn't loser. So keep quiet."
There's a conversation between Harry and Dumbledore in "The chamber of secrets" in which Harry wonders if he should have been in Slytherin after all.
"Then why aren't you in it ?" asks Dumbledore
"Because I asked the sorting hat not to put me there"
"Exactly! You chose it. It is our choices which make our destinies rather than our abilities. " replied Dumbledore.
We all choose where to invest our time, energy and patience. Having the ability isn't enough. It's like this in PhD also. Probably many people may the ability to do research work but they may not have the patience, persistance and passion that requires you to continue solving the same problem for years. And even within PhDs, every thesis and its story is unique. Yes, each degree has a story. A story of sacrifices, passion, smiles, tears and turmoil. Success and failure and then the in between phases. At the end it may feel "easy" like something that should have dawned us a lot earlier but it's not just about the results, it's about the process and the story associated with it. Just like life. It's all about journey.
Tuesday, May 05, 2015
Recently I have been looking at lists of things to do before turning 30. A little late I realize. I am turning 30 in 4 days. So that doesn't leave a great deal of options to do something very wild and/or elaborate. Daily life doesn't permit a great deal of spare time. But as I started making lists now and a couple of months earlier, I realized I had already done a lot of I wanted to albeit without lists. So here's a list of what I did do (and probably would have added in my list in my 20s) ...........
- Find the love of my life...suddenly the joy of life increases manifolds...you dream more , want more and live more fully ...
- Get married....and to have that for the rest of the life...life with your best friend.......(at least when you are not bickering ..lol)
- Have a kid of my own....a child completes your life in a way that none can. It's whole new life. And the entire process ...pregnancy and giving birth to your child....feeding him...holding him...well it's a whole new list which keeps growing ...
- Experience pregnancy to the fullest...I not only had food cravings but also color cravings!
- Experience childbirth...was fortunate enough
- Learn how a kid grows up
- Learn how a kid learns to communicate...one of the biggest curiosities for me
- Read lots in all categories.....collect them all....have an over-brimming collection
- Go into research...ok so I don't have a job yet but I am pursuing the work of my dreams in PhD
- Get into some top university...specifically IIT...more specifically IIT Delhi...done :)
- Get placed in good companies...ok so I didn't join but I did get placed.
- Own a car
- Travel alone...I did at least in India...more than 5 times
- Travel with a friend...Hubli...
- Travel with your sweetheart...
- Travel with your little family (kid+sweetheart)
- Airtravel...I love airports and planes...I even enjoyed waiting at the airport the one time my flight severely delayed
- Stay with a friend....ok so it was only a couple of days each time but it still counts
- Hang out in a big group till the death of night..yeah..beach@Chennai...
- Get some kind of award...did get a few
- Spoke on the radio
- Lucky draws...have been lucky that way :P
- Write a book...(*well near completion actually)
- Loads and loads of college fun...friends, groups and dating:)
- Finding a good, sincere set of friends to share, care, laugh and cry
- Shopping with friends
- Planning your own wedding
- Being an important person in your best friends wedding :)
- Visit the beach again
- Swim again...or at least try
- Run a marathon
- Do some literature course...did one online in Coursera...was enriching, fun and satisfying...I actually worked on it!
- Thanking the important people of your life...do try...started with that phone call to an old fav teacher....
- Wear a white dress and veil :)
- Wear other dresses....all kinds
- Give a lecture in a seminar
- Try some adventure sports...snorkelling, it became cliff diving when I fell off a cliff!
- Have THE PERFECT honeymoon
- A relaxing babymoon
- Eat lots of exotic stuff
- Learn to cook a bit
- Lead somewhere...college magazine as well as Newsletter at IIT
- Be the " go-to" person for help, for discussions for your friends
- Go to the stadium to watch a cricket match and shout your hearts out...I also got my face painted ;)
- Lots of known dates after some kind of engagement
- Lots of secrets ones before it ...there were some VERY close calls!
- Be creative...hmmm...gifts to loved ones, nailart, painting my mobile case, knitting baby stuff and lots and lots more
- Internet chats....
- Different looks, haircuts...
- Have some one who will want to read you diary and whom you will be willing to show the same
- Take a road trip with loved one
- Visit the Taj Mahal
- Visit some foreign country with loved one
- Visit the zoo with your child
- Give some of your loved toys to your child...my baby on my childhood truck...
- Skate again....did so once and was ok at it...
- Play carrom again...some wishes are that small...
- Have someone to play scrabble with
- Midnight birthday celebrations
- Throw a surprise party
- Read to your child
- Sings rhymes with your child
- Watch lots of animation movies
- Watch the popular TV sitcoms...Friends, House, Masterchef, HIMYM, Boy Meets World...a few that I loved...
- Watch a few popular Indian ones...Tarak Mehta ka Olta Chasma...a great one ...so different form usual Indian serials though even some of those were pretty good...like Jassi, BALH...
- Lose weight...did so many times ! However I did start some healthy habits finally.
- The perfect Mehendi party...
- Wear a Sari on your own
- Experience the perfect marriage moment...
- Sweetheart on knees to propose
- Stay actively part of parents life after marriage also
- See your parents dote their grandchild as the baby grows
- Bike riding....it's fun from the back seat also :)
- Dance with the love of your life
- Dance with your child....(also the love of your life...)
- Create sandcastles again....did it all...sand castles, sand mermaid, doodle of names with hearts, collecting shells...
- PhD degree
- Visit Italy
- Listen to/read news
- Complete that book
- Publish it
- Read some religious books
- More swimming
- More beaches
- Make enough space for your entire novel collection
- Exotic teas...try
- Keep trying different looks...its fun
- English tea...proper...at England..? At other places.
- Keep increasing your travel diary....create one....
- Also add Goa, Andaman, Pondcherry, Northeast for India
- Keep dreaming................