Monday, February 20, 2012

The post that never was....

I strived to write a post twice. Last night, when I truly felt it, a phone call prevented me from writing. The person was like "I will not let you write it now.." jestingly. It just added to my determination. So this morning, I again got down to it. I felt it less now, a good night's sleep,a steaming cup of tea, a  lavish breakfast will do wonders in changing your perspective. It was going to be the most cynical post written by me till now, you see. And all the more cynical because I was not cribbing. No, I was writing it when I was happy with my life in most respects. It was about oldage and associated misery, middleage and associated responsibilities, changes, lost dreams of childhood, selfish dreams of youth.... I mean what right did I have to enjoy myself  when there was so much misery? You get the idea...the general theme of the post.

And won't you know it? It got deleted this time! I couldn't recover it. I tried to undo but it was gone. And frankly, I could get into the mode to write it again either. By that time, I was in a good frame of mind. Then it struck me that maybe it just wasn't meant to be written. Maybe that's what Discovering Life is all about. You discover a lot but there's no need to share everything, especially  things you yourself don't like it.

Yes, I can still see the miseries as they were. Yes, I still feel bad about them. But that's no reason to feel guilty when a simple joke or a piece chocolate cheers you up. If we were all miserable, who would get us out? Maybe all of us can't do the big things we thought of in childhood about "making the world a better place", but we can make a difference by bringing some smiles. Maybe there are joys lurking for everyone; and when we can't find them for them, maybe it's just because there was joy in not being alone but  having someone look for them with you. And maybe, just for those few moments, that's enough. For us and for them.

7 comments:

Ankur said...

Discovering Life... In my opinion all things starting from childhood till oldage dreams wishes miseries everything is certain from the day we come into this world of realities every child have a dreams to change the world for good... but there is no point getting depressed if we cannot change the world because it needs luck more than efforts to do so ... so we should make the people around us happy and if everyone of us do so the whole world will be a better place to live isn't it... so instead of getting depressed we should do our bit and let the things happy and as far as enjoying life is concern we should be happy because there are so many people in world who feel happy only when we are happy... so again we should be happy and try to make people around us happy as well ... one ay the whole world will be happy till then take care and keep smiling ... it means world to someone ....

aditi said...

Reply[Ankur]
Awww:) And you are one of the rare who does that very well:)
So true. I don't believe in the part that everything is certain from the beginning though. I believe life is like an adventure book with multiple twists and endings and based on our decisions, we travel through one of them.

Sunil J said...

You don't have to feel guilty about anything. But if you want to make a difference, don't take the attitude of a fatalist.

Calvin had it right when he prayed for "The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can’t, and the incapacity to tell the difference."

aditi said...

Reply[Sunil]
Very true.
It's not about being a fatalist but it IS about knowing the difference. Knowing when it's enough.

Sunil J said...

Ha ha.. I know, that is why I added Calvin's prayer "incapacity to tell the difference". You have to give up at some point, but wouldn't it be great if you didn't know when to give up? Sometimes persistence pays.

aditi said...

Reply[Sunil]
Missed that part! Good one!
Ya, persistence pays but sometimes it also pays to have that inner satisfaction, despite whatever the result.

Tapasya said...

Agree with Ankur...like they say, charity begins at home. And is you ask people close to you, they'll tell you that you do a great job of bringing smiles to their face and making a difference in their lives :)