Wednesday, September 21, 2022

The fault in our stars and others and their side effects

Some books demand to be read just as "pain demands to be felt". This is one such book. The first time I read it, I  loved it. I felt it was a masterpiece. It started on this genre of youngadult bools. Especially medical ones. I hunted them for years and devored them. Some such ones:
1.  The fault in our stars ( we already know this but it has to be included in the list)
2. Five feet apart, 
3. Everything Everything, 
4. All the bright places, 
5.The Sun is also a star
6. Midnight Sun.
7.Eleanor and Park
8. The girl with the nine wigs.

The last one is bit different because it is true. It is a memoir. So special. 
But to me they are also special. All characters come alive.
But "The fault is our stars" the most. It makes you emphathise. 

Before reading the next time, I watched the movie and loved it utterly. I loved how true it was to the book and how beautifully it portrayed the characters.

The next time I read the books years later, it felt being hit by a speeding train. I was stunned by the force of it. I read the book. I highlighted quotes. I watched the movie again. And for a final touch. I read " The Imperial Affliction." The version which I liked the most. Maybe not most accurate one but the fun one.

Can a book have such hold on you? Even after reading so many books, it is a rare experience. But yes, sometimes a book demands that you just stop everything and think about it. It can even literally put you in bed or (pull you put of it) for a while.
I remember experiencing it the first time I read Harry Potter (part1 and then againin part 5 and 6).

This is not the same feeling as not knowing what to read next ( which is a milder side effect). This is not even an overwhelming sense of loss of the characters or of finishing an awesome book. That happens. This is when somehow the characters pull you within and after it is over, you need to pay homage to them as you contonue to feel a bit bewildered while returning to the living world.

No comments: