Sunday, February 03, 2019

Hyderabad trip: Green tea and bread (part 2)

Sometimes some parts of our daily activities get so ingrained into our routine that we hardly realize their significance until for some reason, we have to deviate from them.

This I realized at the recent trip to Hyderabad. The accomodation was fine except for one fine detail: it had no tea maker! The first evening soon after arriving, I ordered my first cup of tea and ploughed ahead thinking that there would be tea at the conference and they of course offer tea upon ordering. But what they didn't have in their menu was green/black tea/chamomile tea, in short any milkless flavoured tea!

Over the next few days, I realized another missing item, bread from breakfast! Whether it was at the conference or the accomodation, the multiple options of breakfast offered didn't include. The multiple tea options didn't include green tea. At one point, they even kept the elusive packets of all variety of teas. I reached eagerly and asked for my option, only to be told that there is no hot water currently!
Well my struggles with breakfast did have some memorable breaks in between where such options were made available or pursued.  I was slowly becoming the kind of person who should carry their own tea!

However, this experience surprised me. I never realized before this trip that these two items played such a vital role in my morning rountine. I was reading my morning routine earlier and tried to analyze my routine. It seemed rushed. Green tea as a part of healthy choice but also because it is a quicker choice. This was generally followed by  grabbing a quick sandwich for the way.  This hardly seemed like a routine. Kind of rushed with scope for lots of improvement. But with time, it became a part of my routine that gave me peace. Few minutes of peaceful green tea and the blandness of a simple sandwich.

The blandness, simplicity and flavorlessness is nice in the morning and forms an intrinsic part of my morning and hence daily life. It somehow calms the mind to concentrate on the day ahead without itself taking any energy. No oilyness, spice and hence no heaviness. It just supports. Just like certain people in life.  They just support. And they are such an intrinsic part of our lives that with time we start taking them for granted. They are supposed to just be there. Exactly as they are, everyday of our lives. Because they are the reason we function.  They are our staples. Our bread and green tea. They are our family.  And sometimes it's the deviations which make us rediscover their true value which we would see everyday without observing properly.

No comments: